Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Nashua Telegraph



For websites in my area, I explored the NashuaTelegraph.com based out of Nashua, New Hampshire. This online site is an edition of The Telegraph, their daily printed newspaper.

The website seemed well done to me. There were news updates from surrounding towns, though not much about my town. They did do a nice job collecting nation-based articles from other papers like the Los Angeles Times and by using the Associated Press. As far as the local stuff goes, it was decent, but there were spelling errors that I noticed on the staff writing and sentences like:

“Nobody else was reported injured...” that were not to my liking. Nobody? Bleh. No one.


The website did, however, have a great layout with links to other sites and blogs in the area. It was well organized, and had lots and lots of ads. I would say the website should double check its proofing and put the top news from the area right at the top middle, with pictures.

The best thing they did on the site would probably be the latest updates column and the 7 Days tab, where you can check out the top news from the last seven days. It would be exactly what I would go for right when the page opened up: the latest news from my town/area and what happened that I missed.

As far as the site’s economic model goes, it seems to be following the selling advertising model, pretty traditional. Although, I do remember using the site about a year ago, and I’m sure I couldn’t access certain pieces unless I subscribed. Maybe they took away the value-added services model because people didn’t want to bother with it? Either way, just using the selling advertising model makes it easier for everyone. Oh wait! Somehow, my name is on the top of the homepage...I guess that means I did subscribe. Apparently they do also follow the value-added services model. Woops...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Culinary Delights section of the Nashua telegraph website is outstanding. I especially enjoy reading about food-related events like the free wine-tastings. The weekly recipe winners are very well-organized.