Thursday, September 4, 2008

Campus Safety


Like I mentioned in my last post, I am a music major and therefore spend my entire day at the Fine Arts Center (FAC) on campus. When I heard that a student was robbed right outside of the FAC early this morning, it hit close to home.

Around 1:30 a.m., a female UMass student was walking on the sidewalk next to the FAC when a tall white male grabbed her purse. The woman naturally ran from the area. Now campus police are asking for any information regarding the incident.

Music students are in and out of the FAC night and day. Practicing is a huge part of our days, and we have to do it- no matter what time. Many of us practice at night when the halls of FAC are quieter and all of the practice rooms aren't taken. Hearing of this robbery has since not motivated many to go to the FAC at night.

After reading an article on the robbery, I started thinking of all of the attacks and break-ins on campus. This being my third year, I have heard about many incidents occuring that make me apprehensive. A break-in and assault in North Apartments, robberies in Southwest and Orchard Hill, and attacks on students at night are just a few of a plethora of events that have taken place.

With such a large campus, it is naive to think that things like this don't happen. However, I think I am entitled to wanting to feel safe on campus. I don't like that fact that campus is equated to a city, meaning that I must take all the necessary precautions to make sure that I don't end up in one of the crime alerts.

What I want to know is, where were the campus police during all these events? I am grateful that UMass has its own police system, and I am glad that cops are out patrolling in their cars. However, what about security on campus in areas such as the dorms and the populated buildings? Campus police stated that there would be increased security because of the robbery. Does that mean once the culprit is found, all increased security will stop? I would like to feel safe in my dorm and where I do my work.

1 comment:

Scott Brodeur said...

Katelyn: How do you think the local media has done so far this year covering campus safety? Have you read articles in the Collegian, Gazette, Republican? Have you seen news stories on local TV? I am wondering if this kind of news makes its way into these publications or news shows.