Thursday, September 11, 2008

Movie Theater Etiquette

So, this may be more like a rant, but it's necessary. I was thinking about what to write and drew a blank. However, when I thought about watching the movie Superman yesterday, movies in general came to mind. And then, from there, movie theaters.

I feel very strongly about movie theater etiquette. When I pay for a movie, I expect the movie in its entirety, and nothing less.

(Photo from New York Magazine)

Personally, when I watch a movie, I go into "movie mode". If the movie is one that I haven't seen before, I am focused and do not talk to the people next to me. I guess I like getting into the story. Either way, my question is, why are people disruptive in movie theaters? They paid to sit and watch a movie, but instead, just make everyone else upset.

Why do people make out in movie theaters? Why, why, why, are movie theaters the best place to do that? Honestly, I do not pay to see that when I go to the movies, and no, it is not a bonus. Take it outside lovebirds!

Also included in less-than-proper movie etiquette are boisterous audience members that throw food and yell things at the screen. I do not see how this enhances the movie-watching experience. It's definitely not in my interests to know what you are thinking at all times. And, I really don't need any gummy bears in my hair.

I could go on about this for days. Instead, I included a site I found that gives tips for proper movie theater etiquette. Use them well.




3 comments:

Scott Brodeur said...

There is research out there that says theaters as we know them today are not that attractive for the "millennial" demographic.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/aug/08/entertainment/et-pollmovies8

Anonymous said...

I spent six months in juvie for stabbing a kid who wouldn't shut up during a movie.

Well, maybe not. I probably just removed him from my Facebook friends, which is almost as shocking. Either way, I don't think a rational jury would convict me of that crime.

Katelyn said...

Removal from friends on facebook = totally worth it.

Paying for a movie and having people be obnoxious = not worth it.