Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Comparing Sites


(© RON CHAPPLE/CORBIS, ps. check out this article from Scientific American on getting your fiber through coffee)


One of the assignments for this week was to compare these sites:
BaristaNet, LoudounExtra, and iBrattleboro.com. After poking around on the sites for a while, I noticed some things.

As far as the strengths and weaknesses for each site, I have to say that iBrattleboro.com and BaristaNet were set up well. On both sites, you could scroll down through the headlines and get short, to-the-point stories on just what you are looking for.

LoudounExtra is still loading on my computer... The top box that includes the top five or so stories has not been working for me. I clicked on a story once it was finally loaded, and now that one isn't loading. I give up! Even the pictures associated with other stories as you scroll down aren't loading. I'm sure these not-loaded things could be strengths of the site if they actually worked.

I like how Brattleboro's stories were all provided by townspeople. People get a chance to read and write exactly what they want to know/say about the area. I mean, it just makes sense. It's like talking to all of your neighbors at once, without having to deal with the morning coffee breath. I also really liked how Brattleboro has a little section for "Who's Online" so that you can potentially talk to a neighbor if they're available.

Again, BaristaNet's stories were short and clear. I wish my town had something like this. Also, Barista, as well as the other sites, had a lot of links to blogs, events in the area, and other stories of interest to readers.

I think overall, despite the fact that LoudounExtra is still loading, the sites do a pretty good job at informing locals of what's going down in their area. They all had sections that a reader can click on for specific information on a certain topic, as well as the latest news and constant updates. Each of the sites had published about 6-7 of the latest stories for the day by mid-afternoon. I say, well done.

No comments: