Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drawing Comments




My experience drawing comments has been an interesting one, that’s for sure.

When thinking about what to write to draw comments, the first thing that came to mind was music. Music is a big part of my life and I figured it would be a good idea to post something related to something I care about. So, I posted a video of a contemporary saxophone piece about a samurai warrior. Unfortunately, that first post was not successful at all. I didn’t get any comments on it. True, I only left it up for about a day, but I thought it might at least get one.

After that first attempt went awry, I decided to take the post down from my blog. I figured people probably weren’t used to contemporary saxophone, and that I should try to go for a bigger audience. I thought about posting funny videos, cute videos of puppies, anything to draw some comments. Nothing, however, felt good enough to post.

Fortunately, later that day, I had a conversation in Franklin Dining Hall (as my post says) that led to the youtube find of Total Eclipse of the Heart. Wow. After watching that video, I knew right away that it was going on my blog. It was just the kind of thing I was looking for: something absurd, hilarious, creepy, or just plain crazy that people would want to talk about. And it worked! Turns out, people thought it was just as atrocious and wonderful as I did.

All I did to draw some comments was show it to my friends (who were conveniently in my dorm room at the time, and usually are in my room at all hours of the day and night- we’re kind of like Seinfeld, always talking about nothing. I’m Jerry, in case you were wondering. Ps. One of my friends is here now and is making vomiting noises) and asked them to comment on it. Then, I talked about the crazy video in as many of my classes as I could, telling people about my blog and asking them to check it out. I also updated my status on facebook to: CHECK THIS OUT: http://is.gd/3KlS WTF?!?!, so that people would see that if they looked at my profile.

This process was harder than I thought, and easier than I thought, if that makes sense. I realized that I had to post something that wasn’t so specialized as the contemporary sax video, but I could never make up my mind on what to do. When the 80s video came up, however, I knew that a lot of people would think it was ridiculous. Things became a lot easier from there. I was really excited about the video because of how insane it was, and I think that rubbed off on my friends, and their friends, and so on. I really wanted people to see this video, not because it was on my blog, but because it was definitely something I would want to share with as many people as possible anyway. Thank you, Bonnie Tyler!

4 comments:

Ima Law Student said...

AHh I love Seinfeld! One of my friends seriously reminds me so much of Elaine it's ridiculous. She even looks like her. We always complain about random stuff too. Her love life is really random and unlucky like Elaine's too

Anonymous said...

I think Facebook is the right place for a link to a blog. It is advertised to the multitudes if you have many friends.

Katelyn said...

Yeah, this year my room has become Jerry's "house" essentially. we're always in there talking about random stuff and especially our love lives lol. lately, we've been having some good laughs about it.

yeah, facebook has proved pretty decent at getting the word out but i have to say, i think word of mouth was probably the most effective.

Scott Brodeur said...

The old WTF Facebook strategy! Genius!